Thursday, May 12, 2005

UPDATES, FINALLY

Has definitely been a hectic month here at NCPL, so my apologies for not keeping you up to date.

Here's a bit of what has been going on:

I did four Junior Achievement classes at Olive Elementary for all three 6th grades. We talked about global business and economies. We also learned about imports, exports and exchange rate for curriencies of various countries including our own. The final day we did a Trivial Pursuit type of game, but for the answers the students were required to use the World Almanacs that I brought from the library. DEFINITELY a learning experience. They had to find statistics about different countries, statistics from sporting events (the guys loved this one), historical dates and much more. I can't wait to do it again next year.

I also did three Junior Achievement for a single fourth grade class. We also discussed business, but on a more local scale.

For both of the above I discussed some topics that will, hopefully, pay dividents in years to come for the students. I stressed the necessity of planning and made them memorize the following: "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

AND

Decision Theory. If it is new to you, here it is:

1. Define the Problem.
2. Gather all relevant data.
3. Identify alternatives and options.
4. Identify advantages and dis-advantages of each alternative or solution to the problem/s.
5. Make the decision by using the solution with the most advantages and the least dis-advantages.

Companies spend thousands to learn decision theory so I took it upon myself to see that our kids are ahead of the game in this respect.

Can't wait to do it all again next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home